Champ

15.9.2003:



Games bought from Stefan in Sweden last summer were not the last ones. Now it was again time for Stefan to make some more room, and so he packed 5 games to his van and started driving to Tampere. Two games continued to Kauko in Karvia, but three of them stayed here. Bally Champ from 1973 is a pinball game with theme of pinball! Of course I wanted to have it.

The game needs some work. Game Over relay was missing, fortunately the contact stack was hanging around. I was able to throw in a Williams interlock relay, but of course the Bally contacts are a little too short for that. I had to make a custom mounting plate for the contact stack. The Williams coils are 24 V while Bally uses 50 V, but this relay is operated with such short pulses that it doesn't matter. "Special" feature is disabled, as is usual in Sweden, and converted to give an extra ball instead. Also there is some custom wiring around coin relays. Bad thing is that the Match Unit is completely missing. There is no match feature then, I just hope the unit is not needed to handle any light alternating or switching. The fuse holder clips broke off when I tried to install fuses, but luckily Kauko donated a new holder.



Right side of playfield has a nasty scratch.



Compare the Champ playfield with 1979 Viking, also from Jim Patla. Notice the placement of top eject hole, two bumpers and spinner.



Christian Marche could do also other things besides the pointy "paper cut" images. Here is a good example.



The game needs little space. Glass does not need to be pulled out completely.



EM-game innards. A little more stuff than in 5 years newer Strikes and Spares.



Mr. Repairdude has left his trademark. Some mysterious wire cuts near score motor.



More cut wires near Game Over relay.



Match Unit is removed and its wires taped together.

18.9.2003:

The game is now cleaned and has new rubbers and a handful of new lightbulbs. I got the schematic from Leon in Belgium, thanks! With that it was quite easy to get the machine running. It looks like the same wiring harness was used in some other game also, because the mysterious loose wires here and there do not affect anything. This is a well playing game, and fortunately the Match unit does not control anything else besides the match numbers, so even if it is missing it does not hurt play. Of course someday I will put a replacement unit in place.

30.9.2003:



Antti found a suitable match unit from his large parts inventory, and I managed to connect it and fit it in place. And now also the match feature is working! Many thanks to Antti.

16.11.2003:



The big scratch in playfield looks better after some touching up. Of course it is still visible but anyway nicer than originally.

2.2.2004:

One minor problem, one of the score motor cams missing some teeth is now fixed when I got a spare cam. For some reason or another, Mr. Repairdude had cut off four teeth of a motor cam that is supposed to give six impulses per turn. Now it only gave two. Probably this was done to adjust the game pricing, that for the only available coin chute was adjustable between 2-6 games per coin. Now the adjustment became 0-2 games per coin. Of course, the hack job was unnecessary since all Mr. Repairdude should have done is change the coin switch wire to another, smaller value coin relay that already had the correct adjustment range. An extra feature of this hack was that the game start was quite slow, since resetting of the score reels was now done by 2 pulses at a time, instead of six.



Score Motor.



The toothed cams that move the motor switches.

14.2.2004:

Champ was all working. A nice game, but since space is still limited, and my primary interests are Bally and Williams solid state games from 1978-1982, it was time to let Champ go to next owner. A collector from Helsinki picked it up with his van today.


Back