Six Million Dollar Man

12.4.2004:



Six Million Dollar Man on is a game based on old TV series. It is special in that it is a six player game. The Bally CPU board was flexible enough to control six score displays. Fortunately the inflation in 1978 was not so big, otherwise the series could have been named "9 million dollar man" and then there would have been problems! The cabinet is a little bit faded, but then it is already 26 years old.



The playfield is OK, even though there are some fixups visible.



Cabinet inside looks empty, as in all Ballys of this era. Only the loudspeaker is at the bottom, even the transformer is in backbox.



The CPU board still has the original Nicad battery, a small wonder it hasn't leaked yet. But it must be replaced with a gold cap soon.



Backglass is perfect, like it usually is in the old Ballys.

Also this game was bought from Sweden, as a joint venture with Mikko. The machine was fully playable, only one display was missing a digit. Replacing a driver transistor fixed that. A Mr. Repairdude from Sweden had installed some relays to the game, to make bumper lights flash as ball hits them. I will probably take out those relays. The GI lightning was a bit dim, first I thought it must be a bad connector on power supply. It wasn't. Turned out Mr. Repairdude had replaced all GI with 12 volt bulbs, no wonder it was dim. That made our bulb dealer happy. Otherwise, after cleaning and installing new rubbers the game looks neat and works fine, even if it isn't one of the most interesting games to play. But a nice one to have anyway.

10.5.2004:

I removed the extra relays. There was three in all, two for bumpers and one for right slingshot. The relay pulled in when bumper or sling was hit, and then connected voltage to solenoid coil and via another switch made the correct scoring. The two bumper relays also had one switch to flash the bumper lights. And the reason for these addons became clear when I restored all to original state. Coils did not work! But that was quite easy to fix. Two burnt transistors, one open diode and some bad soldering work on the driver board prevented the coils from operating and after replacing those, all is OK and the game is now working in original condition. Probably the repairdude was familiar on how relays work but did not want to touch the driver board. Putting in the relays must have taken much longer time than to fix the driver board. I must admit the relays were neatly installed.

15.5.2004:

I removed the suspicious looking memory backup battery from CPU board, and installed a gold cap in its place. No more worrying about leaking battery destroying the PC board.

8.5.2006:

The game found a new owner.






Back