White Water

14.3.2005:

After getting the last acquisition Dirty Harry into proper shape, it was time to get the next project. I have always liked White Water, and since one was now available for good price, even if it had some problems, I went shopping. After all the problems can always be fixed?

Dot matrix driver board needed some chips replaced, and the driver board had one shorted lamp driver. No other major problems. Getting the game up and running took only two evenings.

Taking the playfield apart for cleaning required lots of work. The upper playfield must be removed to access the passages and parts below. White Water needed lots of light bulbs, nearly all of the general illumination was burnt out, and many of the feature ligts too, probably because of the shorted transistor in driver board was feeding 18 volts to the 6 volt lamps. But now, with all new rubbers and lamps, I'm sure it takes a long while before needing disassembly again.



Playfield is OK after cleaning.



Backglass is like new.



Waterfall animation on backbox looks great.

16.4.2005:

The upper flipper seemed a little weak, and it was very difficult to get the ball into the Whirlpool. A worn out mechanism and loose screws do not exactly increase flipper power, so in goes a new coil sleeve, coilstop and a plunger/link/crank assembly. Tighten the bushing screws and off we go. What a difference! A new grand champion score right in the first play.

24.5.2005:



Taru took Whitewater to her place for a while, but no problems, in the meantime I have her Jack*Bot, a very nice game also. And we will change back some day.

28.5.2005:

Taru, being a sharp eyed player, noticed a couple of minor problems in Whitewater. First, the machine did not always recognize ball going to the whirlpool, and second, the upper flipper position was a bit funny looking.

We found the upper ramp microswitch to be faulty, and further more, it was mounted by a nice Mr. Repairdude, with two plastic sticks, probably from a lollipop, holding it in place with some epoxy glue. We made a new mounting plate for the switch, now it is securely held in place with screws and should work without problems.

The upper flipper had a broken spring, causing the rest position to be a little off. But of course Taru had a spare spring and it was soon repaired. After a few, or maybe twenty test games we were sure everything works now. And it really is a nice game.

14.8.2005:

We swapped the games back. Taru gets to play her Jack*Bot again, and now I have the Whitewater home again.

6.9.2005:

I replaced the right side slingshot plastic, which was broken in two places. At the same time a new left lock target was installed. The lock targets get quite a lot of hits in this game.



Lock target.

4.7.2014:

Whitewater has found a new rafter.




Back